Plant-Based Chilli Con Carne Recipe
1 large onion
1 red pepper
2-3 garlic cloves
400g tin red kidney beans
400g tomato passata/ tinned tomatoes
450g plant-based mince alternative
1) Pre-cooking preparation: peel and dice your onion. Chop your pepper into small chunks. Finely chop your garlic. Drain and wash your kidney beans.
2) Put a dash of oil in a frying pan on low heat, and gently fry your garlic, taking care to keep it moving.
3) Increase the temperature to medium heat and add the onion, frying until it is clear. Then add the pepper, and fry until soft.
4) Next, add the mince and continue frying for a few minutes.
5) Pour the tinned tomatoes in, and stir. Then add the kidney beans and turn down the heat to a simmer.
6) Season as appropriate- sprinkling in chilli powder, cumin and paprika. I would recommend a teaspoon of each spice, and then you can always add more according to your personal preferences.
7) Stir in all the spices and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
8) Serve on a bed of boiled rice.